Tuesday 5 January 2016

What I Bought Over The Break

shopping addiction_what I bought over the break_gift_guide_roundup_emily henderson_

I’m always curious what bloggers actually buy for themselves – not just for projects and not gifted from companies. So I figured you might be, too. Over the break I did some damage, but I felt I was in newborn prison (a quite adorable prison it is) for weeks so my retail withdrawals were in full force, and I needed to shop. Alone.  Have you ever notice how you can spend a lot more when you are shopping alone? Dangerous …

Besides, Brian was STUMPED with what to buy me, per usual, so I went ahead and took care of it for him. I told him that all I really, really wanted is for him to edit all our iphone footage of our kid together, which he gave me me for my birthday (and MUST continue to do so because it made me weep with joy) but meanwhile I shopped for myself and even wrapped 1/2 of this for myself under the tree and did a big song and dance about how much I love it, how well he knows me, blah blah blah. What it lacks in romance, it makes up for in GETTING EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED.

So, without further ado, here is what I bought for myself over the break and why …

1. Navy Vest – I have a million button ups (especially with the nursing situation) that need some layering without too much bulk. This has a super slimming cut that makes me feel smaller in the areas that I’m not feeling as small in right now. Plus it’s kinda menswear, which I always like. So far, it’s worth the splurge as I’ve worn it a few times already and it has solved a lot of wardrobe problems.

2. Leather Heel – Two years ago Brian bought me a gift certificate to DVF and I’ve tried to spend it, but ultimately her dresses are not quite my style. But, I tried again over the break and found these shoes that were on a major sale. But that’s not why I bought them. No, it’s because of that amazing white rubber sole that makes them SO UNBELIEVABLY comfortable. While I won’t be wearing them too much the next couple months, I think they’ll be a Spring/Summer wardrobe staple.

3. Copper Cups – I know they don’t seem that special but the particular tone of these cups are so pretty. I just bought one to use as a vase for that perfect shot.

4. Silk Shirt – Dark green (forest, hunter, jade .. whatever) is a trending color. Meanwhile I had a job where they told me that I wasn’t allowed to wear blue, and this was the perfect solution …. This blouse isn’t SPECTACULAR, but I like the cut, fit, and color.

5. Flared Jeans – The flat front of these jeans makes my front feel flat and for that I LOVE these jeans.

6. Metallic Slip Ons – I joined the thick-soled Van’s wanna be trend. These are super comfortable and were perfect for when I had to RUN through JFK with a baby strapped to me to catch our flight, because it took 2 1/2 hours to get to the airport from our house!!!! LA traffic? HA!

7. Marble Tray – This tray is going to be one of those Target items that goes FAST, trust me. I got a sample of it a while ago for a shoot which they sadly asked me to send back but after seeing it in person I can say that it is awesome and snag worthy.

8. Bottle Opener – I don’t know. I didn’t need this. I even had them wrap that and the corkscrew for a gift which I still might give to someone but I didn’t know who, I just liked them and wanted to buy them. I’m a hoarder and you could market a piece of garbage to me and I’d be like, but its handmade in Oregon!!

9. Corkscrew – See #8

10. Pink Ceramics – ABC Carpet and Home is one of my favorite stores ever, but it ain’t cheap. Opposite in fact. They have the most beautiful tabletop props in the world and I do call them ‘props’ because I picked up a soup bowl (NOT a serving bowl, mind you) that was $126 for just that single piece. Like, not a set. So then an hour later I found a tiny little handmade pink jewelry dish that was $18 (not shown) and I was like WHAT A DEAL!!!

11. Bamboo Lantern – We used this on the latest Target video a couple of months ago and in person it’s this really simple raw wood – so pretty, chic with that mid-century/scandy vibe that I love. It’s going in my living room by my fireplace. Also I know what you are thinking ‘Wait … don’t you work for Target? Can’t you get stuff for free?’ and the answer is sure, I get a budget for projects for the blog but its not like its supermarket sweep every Saturday over here. I far exceed my budget because I spend so much on me, as you do at Target.

12. Pink Pillow – Obviously Elliot needed a faux fur pillow for her room (soon to be revealed). Colored faux fur can be tricky (stay away from really bright saturated colors like purple and cobalt) but this color is actually even more toned done then it looks in the photos. I love her.

13. Necklace – I bought like 1 million necklaces over the break. Here’s why: I have to wear a decent amount of boring button ups and shirt dresses and such things need good styling – good boots, necklaces and of course hats. So I tried to find some that were inexpensive enough that if a baby ripped it apart I wouldn’t be devastated.

14. Shirt Dress – Speaking of shirt dresses … Equipment is one of my favorite brands ever. Their clothes look a little boring, but the cuts are EXTREMELY flattering – especially their silk ones. This dress is great for nursing, layering and generally easy living (and it’s on sale right now).

15. Wood Measuring Spoons – This is what I like to call ‘Instagram Bait’. It’s like these companies make things just for people like me. I don’t know. I’m from Oregon. I’m a sucker for this kind of thing. I will probably never use them to actually cook, but I really wanted them, so I bought them. Coming soon to an instagram near you.

16. Suede Potholder – For $18 I think this is a fantastically simple gift and THIS I will actually use in my kitchen.

17. Blue Pants – OK, listen. I didn’t buy these YET. I tried them on and I really wanted them but they weren’t right for any of the shoots that I had. Plus, I still need to lose 15 pounds so “my size” (that isn’t my size anymore) didn’t exactly fit but I didn’t want to go up a size because I WILL LOSE THAT WEIGHT. Also they come in black and blush pink. The black just looked like a big blob to me and the pink was so pretty but I don’t think I can do that big of pant in a light color at this juncture.

18. Canvas Journal – Didn’t need it. Just wanted it. I have a thing for collecting notebooks and then writing like 2 sentences in them and misplacing them. It’s awesome.

19. Brass Pen – Because sometimes chic pens make you feel important in unimportant meetings.

20. Blue Dress – This is part of my ‘don’t-even-try-to-imagine-what-my-parts-look-like-under-here’ wardrobe, typical of a post-partum lady. It actually drapes really well and is thin enough that its easy to layer over. You know how sometimes if its stiff cotton you can’t properly put a sweater over it? Well this is rayon so it’s just really easy to wear.

21. Initial Necklace – I bought one for Elliot and one for Charlie, for obvious reasons. They are so pretty, simple and architectural. Such a good gift, by the way for $38.

22. Leather Slip Ons – Look at me buying TAUPE. I love these shoes. I shall wear them with all my hospital gowns.

23. Brass Necklace – Another cool architectural brass necklace that edges up a simple dress. Just add hat.

Well that’s it folks. Just a little sneak-peek into what I splurged on over the break. What are your favorites? What would you buy? What would you return if I gifted it to you? AND most importantly, is 2016 the year of the hospital gown?

The post What I Bought Over The Break appeared first on Emily Henderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment